Friday, November 18, 2005

Abiding in the Vine

"Abide (live, remain) in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me. I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in Him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing...As the Father loved Me, I have also loved you; abide in My love." (John 15:4,5,9)

The fruit of love is cultivated in our life through the process of abiding in Christ. The branches do not have to strive in order to bear fruit. All they have to do is abide--to be an extension of the vine. Herein lies the key to abundant life.

How do we abide in Christ's love? By keeping His commandments (John 15:10). What does He command us to do? "This is what I command you: that you love one another." (John 15:17) This can only be done by abiding in God's love. The reason we love is because He first loved us. We have no love apart from the love that God has placed inside of us.

Intimacy with God is the key to a successful Christian life. In John 15:14 Jesus says, "you are My friends if you keep on doing the things which I command you to do." Intimacy with God flows from our obedience to Him. Not only that, but one of the blessings of obedience is that we receive His favor (John 15:16) so that He will give us whatever we ask in Jesus name.

What destroys intimacy? Sin and disobedience. When Adam and Eve disobeyed God in the Garden of Eden, the bond of intimacy was broken, and fear entered--causing them to run from God's presence. That is why Christ had to come and die--so that our relationship with the Father might be restored.

"Whoever says he abides in Him (Christ) ought to walk and conduct himself in the same way in which He (Christ) walked and conducted Himself." Abiding in Christ is the key to walking like Christ. Even as children emulate their parents, we are to emulate our heavenly Father. We are to study Him even as our children study us--watching our every move and facial expression. How do children learn to speak? By listening to their parent's voice. They then repeat what they hear. Even so, we need to hear what the Father is saying and begin to speak as we hear.

We can learn from our children. My youngest son will follow me around wherever I go. Sometimes this is annoying, but I understand his desire to be close to me. We as spiritual children need to begin chasing after our Father. We need to follow in His footsteps. As we do, we will see growth in our lives. We will begin to walk into maturity and become fruitful.

"I have given you an example, that you should do, as I have done to you." (John 13:15) "Jesus Christ does indeed ask everyone of us in everything to act just as we have seen Him do. What He has done to us, and still does each day, we are to do over again to others..." Like Christ: Developing the character of Jesus in your life by Andrew Murray.

"These things have I spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full." What is joy? It is love smiling. It is a happiness in knowing that you are loved and secure in love. Where can fullness of joy be found? In God presence. Want to enjoy your life? Abide in God's love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home