Thursday, November 17, 2005

Love your enemies?!

Lately, I feel compelled by the Holy Spirit to study on love. Love is listed as the first fruit of the Spirit, therefore, it must be of great importance in the life of a Christian. Christ's life was a life of love. For God so loved...the greatest love. I've started listening to a series by Joyce Meyer's titled "Develop the Fruit of the Spirit in Your Life." In it, she teaches the importance of character and in having the fruits of the Spirit operating in your life. "Gifts are given," she says, "but fruit is developed." How is fruit developed? By the testings and the trials that we face in our every day life. As we yield to the Holy Spirit, and walk in the Spirit--bringing our body and soul into subjection, we will see the fruit of the Spirit begin to grow in our lives.

"But I say to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, and pray for those who spitefully use you...if you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. And if you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same....But love your enemies, do good and lend, hoping for nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High." (Luke 6:27,28,32,33,35)

The other day Steve's bike was stolen from in front of our home. In the past, I would have become outraged by such an injustice. But this time, I gave it over to God. I'm trusting Him to bring justice to the situation. At first, I prayed for conviction and the fear of the Lord to come upon the person who stole it. But as time went on, and God began to speak to my heart, I began to pray for their salvation and deliverance and that they would have an encounter with God.

Hurting people hurt people. I can attest to this in my own life. Before I began receiving deliverance in my life, I was a bitter, angry person. I had deep wounds in my life that needed healing. I often lashed out at the very people I loved. I would later hate myself for it. I found myself in a vicious cycle--wanting love, but pushing away the people who were trying to love me. I wanted to be free but didn't know how. Then God came into my life, gave me the keys to the prison doors, and I walked out into His freedom. My life has never been the same. I am a changed person. I still fall short at times--I have not reached perfection yet, but thank God I am not where I used to be. He is teaching me how to love, and how to walk in His love.

When we love our enemies, and do good to them, then we are behaving as children of God. Jesus died for us while we were yet sinners. When we were at our worst--Christ died for us. I am so thankful for God's love--that when I was in the muck and the mire, He reached down to pick me up. He got down to my level when I couldn't get up to His. Jesus was God in the flesh. He suffered agony beyond what we could imagine, yet he prayed for the ones who were responsible for His suffering. He manifested the love of God.

Who is your enemy? It could be someone in your church. It could be a member of your family. We are commanded to love our enemies--to do good to them and pray for them. "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; If he is thirsty give him a drink; For in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head. Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good." (Romans 12:21)

You know, if I were to see the thief that stole our bike, I think God would want me to give them our air pump also so they can keep the tires filled up. What do you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home