Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Returning to our first love....

"To the angel of the church of Ephesus write...I know your works, your labor, your patience, and that you cannot bear those who are evil. And you have tested those who say they are apostles and are not, and have found them liars; and you have persevered and have patience, and have labored for My name's sake and have not become weary. Nevertheless I have this against you, that you have left your first love. Remember from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works, or else I will come to you quickly and remove your lampstand from its place--unless you repent." (Revelations 2:1-5)

Yesterday as I was looking at the seven churches in Revelations, this one stuck out in my mind. In my Bible, it was titled "The Loveless Church." This church appears to have it all together--they are commended for (1) working hard, (2) having patience, (3) resisting sin, (4) critically examining the claims of false apostles, and (5) enduring hardships without becoming weary. But one thing was lacking--they had left their first love--the love that they had when they first came to Christ.

This brings a question to my mind. If they were not doing good works out of love for God, then what was motivating them? This causes me to examine my own heart. Do my good works flow out of my love for God or out of a desire for man's praise? You see, the Pharisees were diligent about keeping the law, but they were more concerned with appearances and the praise of men. 1 Corinthians 13 tells us that though we speak in tongues, have prophetic giftings and great faith; though we give all we have to the poor, if we do not have love (God's love) in us, we gain nothing--our works will be burned up.

The scripture then goes on to describe what God's love is. God's love is longsuffering, patient and kind. It is not conceited; it is not rude. It does not insist on its own rights or its own way, for it is not self-seeking. It is not touchy or fretful or resentful; it takes no account of the evil done to it. Love (God's love) bears up under anything and everything that comes, is ever ready to believe the best of every person, its hopes are fadeless under all circumstances, and it endures everything (without weakening).

The Church at Ephesus was instructed to remember, repent and return. "Remember then from what heights you have fallen." The church at Ephesus had at one point been commended on their love of God and others (Ephesians 1:15). So what caused them to leave their first love? Offense will cause your love to grow cold. If we harbor unforgiveness in our hearts, we cannot love with God's love. Our love will become cold and calculating. We cannot say we love God if we do not love our brother or sister in Christ. Hardships can also cause us to leave our first love. When trials come, we often question God. Why is He allowing this? We become angry with Him and draw back from the very One we should be drawing towards. Idolatry will cause you to leave your first love. Anything that you put before God is an idol.

Do you remember when you first came to Christ? Do you remember the joy that overwhelmed you? Do you remember that abounding love--that feast of love that He placed inside of you? When we abide in love, we abide in God. When we abide in God, we abide in love. I remember my first love--how I wanted more than anything to please God. I didn't want to do anything that would grieve His spirit. My heart was tender towards God. As I abided in His love, I found it easier to love others--even when they were unkind. I was more patient and understanding. My life wasn't about me, but it was about Him. I just wanted to stay in His presence and abide in His love.

God is calling us to return to our first love--to do the things that we did when we first knew Him. The church has become ineffective because it has left its first love. We need to serve out of love for God and love for others. We can be busy doing all the right things, but if it is not flowing out of our love for God and our love for others, then it is in vain. All of the commandments of God can be summed up in love. We are commanded to love God with all of our heart, soul, mind, and strength. Then we are commanded to love our neighbor as we love ourself. Our love for others must flow out of our love for God. Love perfects us. It brings maturity and growth. It causes us to be an effective witness. "By this shall all men know that you are my disciples--if you love one another." (John 13:35)

Lord, cause us to remember our first love! Revive the passion that once burned inside of our hearts for you! Put a new heart within us--a heart that will follow after you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home