Thursday, December 08, 2005

Christmas: The season for showing God's love

"...For I was hungry and you fed Me, I was thirsty and you gave Me drink, I was homeless and you gave Me a room, I was shivering and you gave Me clothes, I was sick and you stopped to visit, I was in prison and you came to Me...I tell you the solemn truth: Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me--you did it to me." (Matthew 25:35-36, 40)

The evidence of our faith can be seen in our actions. We are to treat every person we encounter as if they were Jesus in the flesh. "What we do for others demonstrates what we really think about Jesus' words to us--feed the hungry, give the homeless a place to stay, look after the sick..." (Life Application Bible commentary)

"What does it profit, my brethren if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them, 'Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,' but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? ..Faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead." (James 2:14-17)

Love speaks louder than words. Love is how we behave toward someone. Love is a verb--a word of action. I remember when I was younger, we had a homeless man sleeping in our yard. When you are a child, this can be a little alarming. But I remember my dad bringing this man into our home and ministering to him. He shared the love of God with him. We opened our home to this man and fed him. We did not have a lot to give then financially, but we gave out of what we had. As we see in the Bible, it's not the amount that matters, but your willingness to give and your obedience.

"Anyone who sets himself up as 'religious' by talking a good game is self-deceived. This kind of religion is hot air and only hot air. Real religion, the kid that passes muster before God the Father, is this: Reach out to the homeless and loveless in their plight, and guard against corruption from the godless world." (James 1:26,27 The Message)

Christianity is not going to church on Sunday. It is being the embodiment of Christ every day of the week. It is being God in the flesh--an extension of His love and kindness. During this Christmas season, we need to look for opportunities to share God's love--to help those that are less fortunate. As we do, we will find true joy, and our Father will be glorified.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home